Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Japan: Hiroshima 27 - Hiroshima International Women's Club

I have recently joined the Hiroshima International Women's Club. And it is fantastic. I was told by other expatriate wives that this was a great club to get involved in while I am living in Japan. It is a social club made up of foreign and Japanese women. I've also learned there are such clubs in other countries as well, depending on where you live. It is wonderful to finally make some friends here. I have met women from many countries including, U.S., Ireland, U.K., S. Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Japan... They've given me advice on anything from where to buy foreign foods (like oatmeal, peanut butter, or Mexican food ingredients), to which countries are best for vacations (like what to do in Bangkok or Vietnam).

Everyday there are classes and activites to sign up for. For instance, last week I attended a cultural forum and volunteered to go play with children at a Children's Home for orphaned or abandoned children. The kids were sooo cute! And they weren't afraid of me because they thought I was Japanese. This week I took a class in Japanese cooking and Origami. I know you're thinking origami is just folding paper, cause that's what I thought. But boy, after an hour, I realize I should be in remedial Origami.

Next week I am taking a trip with some of the other ladies to a city called Kyushu to stay at a Hotel Onsen for 3 days. An Onsen is a hot springs, which are very popular in Japan.