Saturday, December 03, 2005

Japan: Tokyo 12 - Intro

Lance and I went to Tokyo this weekend. He had to be there for business, so I tagged along from Fri- Sun. Cool doesn't even begin to describe just how AMAZING it is!!!! There is so much to do and it's awesome! A weekend is not enough. I can't wait to go back and see more. I did find out that Sumo is only 3 months out of the yr. in Tokyo (stay tuned for when we do attend an event).

It is a 4 hr. train ride by Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Tokyo (approx. $500 roundtrip each. I belive it costs less by plane and takes 3 hrs.). As quoted from the Tokyo 2005 Guide (website - http://metropolis.japantoday.com/) I got from our hotel lobby - "Expect to be amazed, amuse, and dumbfounded by this city, which presents the past and future side by side. With some 34 million in the sprawling conurbation that constitutes Greater Tokyo, this is the largest city in the world, with 12 million more people (about the population of Greater London) than the next biggest city, Mexico City." Yes, it can be expensive, it is alot of fun, and it is so International! In some areas we heard more English than Japanese. There are also many Europeans. Just a ton of foreigners from all over the world.

Toyko is very westernized. Most sales people, restaurant servers, and hotel staff all speak English. Everything is American friendly. Although it may seem intimidating at first, the subway is supereasy to navigate and get around the city. Taxis will cost you an arm and a leg.

Since Lance had to work on Friday and Saturday, I explored the city by myself. I used many maps and brochures I picked up in Tokyo. This website was also very very helpful: http://www.planettokyo.com/. We stayed in the Roppongi area at a hotel called Villa Fonatine Roppongi. Check out how cool the toilets are! I know you're curious.