Monday, March 06, 2006

Japan: Hiroshima 36 - Girlie stuff

Eyebrows:
I am in dire need to get my eyebrows done! It's driving me crazy. The Japanese (at least in Hiroshima) do not do waxing or threading for eyebrows. Instead a few salons will shave strays with a straight razor. Now tell me how that's effective when hair grows back the very next day? They also sucked at shaping. Arrgh!

Fashion Magazines:
I succumbed and bought an American fashion magazine for $17 today. I found Allure in English at a random bookstore. The things you do when you take life's littlest luxuries for granted...

Hair Salons:
There are a TON of hair salons here. I'm not exaggerating when I say there is one on every corner. I still have yet to go because it seems rather daunting to get my hair cut by someone whom I can't tell what I want. The trend here is really thinned out hair that is razor-cut, then curled with a half perm.

Contraceptive pills:
Birth control pills are only available from a doctor's office. They cannot even be obtained from a pharmacy. They are also alot more expensive. Interestingly the US has been prescribing contraceptive pills for over 40 yrs. now. And only recently has Japan made it available. I have been told it is because they were afraid Japanese women would be too promiscuous.